View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Dash Light problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent_McAllister View Post
So eight years later, I decided I could no longer stand the problem and decided to diagnose it properly.

Checked the resistance on rheostat on headlight switch - ok
Checked fuse and replaced - ok
pulled dash, inspected all copper, polished everything until all circuits could complete to ground.
checked for power to dash plug with truck on and lights on. - FAIL
after quite a bit more screwing around, I realized there is a short to ground (18 gauge black pin) to (20 gauge gray pin) on the plug in the back of the dash.
the conclusion is there is a burned gray wire shorting to ground somewhere in wiring harness between fuse and plug.
This is kind of DUH as this is what a blown fuse should have told me 8 years ago, but I'm on it now.

So I guess I will search the forums to see if I can pull off the fuse box and wire a jumper from back of fuse box to the gray wire right before the plug.
I see from your original thread post that you neglected to tell us whether you had the 3 gauge cluster or the seven gauge cluster. It makes a difference where the wires go to on the cluster plug.
Power goes to the no. 3 pin on the seven gauge panel and to pin seven on the 3 gauge panel.
It is a pink wire from the fuse panel and it powers the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge. The lights are powered separately.

to say you have a short between the black and gray wire pins means nothing unless you state the resistance that you measured because you will get a reading between the two points through the light filaments. If you are reading less than 1 ohm then you have a short but if you measure around 10 ohms then you are just reading the dash lights resistance. They are wired in parallel so you should read slightly less than the resistance of one light.

Take a reading on the PNL lts fuse with the cluster plug unplugged and if you get close to zero ohms on either side of the fuse holder then you have a short in the wire from the headlight switch rheostat ( green), or the wire to the cluster plug, (gray).

Don't forget that you have 2 gray wires together on the cluster plug, pin 8 or pin 12 depending on the style of cluster you have. One of these gray wires is the power wire from the fuse panel and the other wire goes to feed the heater panel light, and glove box light if so equipped. This wire is a common source for a short to ground. Before you run a jumper to the cluster plug, do a short to ground check on the fuse panel lights fuse, and if you don't read a short to ground with the cluster plug unplugged then you don't need the jumper . Make sense? Don't forget the heater panel light and that you will read approximately 10 ohms through this light if the bulb is good

Then you can check The cluster for short to ground between pin 7 and 8 or between 6 and 12 if a 3 gauge cluster.

Try these checks and post back.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote