View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 12:01 AM   #19
Richard2112

Re: 1963 GMC Step-Van 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdare View Post
Well Folks ~** UPDATE **~ and I got a $3500.00 Christmas Present!

The Engine and Transmission still need to be unbolted from the mounts, before it gets hoisted out, but "Why the Heck Not?" seemed to be the rule of thumb today, with it being the last work-day before Christmas. With the spark plugs out, and sitting since the 3rd week of October... I gave the engine a turn by hand.

~*Merry Christmas, Baby!*~

No Need to do an engine rebuild! I dropped in a charged battery, fitted on the very old yet still serviceable battery cables, connected my remote start button, and the dammed starter WORKED! And after a quick compression test BONUS! All the Cylinders chimed in at 170-180psi on the gauge. All that's left now is to install a set of points and condenser (As it had no spark even when I HOT-WIRED it), along with new plugs, cap, rotor & wires... AFTER the outside gets a shampoo, steam cleaning and re-paint. I may even spin a new oil filter on and dump the sump. Just during all that extended cranking time, the engine managed to pump up the oil pressure to 35psi.

So, the estimated $3500.00 I budgeted for a rebuild, can now be more wisely spent elsewhere.

Just finished a PARLEZ with the gent who will be doing the paint when the time comes... Going to go with a two-tone Black/Pearl paint scheme to resemble an old "Paddy-Wagon" -- His Daughter wants to do a Graphic for the sides - ARRESTED DELIVERY. It should be interesting to see what her devious mind can dream up for the graphic... but that is for later.

Merry Christmas!
Abe
Cool project.
Keep in mind that if you are running the original engine and carb, your valve seats are going to get battered in from the no-lead gasoline and your carb seals are not going to like the ethanol in the fuel.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote