View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #16
Hampshire

Re: 1954 Truck, Mustang II, Caster Issue

I'm the one akeane01 got his idea from. I made a recommendation and he is using the same kit. He has modified his a little bit, but I'm not sure how or if that effects this installation. akeane01 has also contacted me on this.

Never having installed an aftermarket suspension, I had someone who does restorations & projects install mine for me & help me with other bits (I'm too old & aching to do all of this myself, anymore). So, without having done the "real" work, I'm not sure where I can advise him. My installer didn't have any serious problems, so I really didn't pay a huge amount of attention. I had one issue the day it was finished & got it's first alignment....the alignment shop set the caster (incorrectly) at zero/neutral & I had a 55mph vibration. To solve that, I went to another shop and - mr48chev says it best....

Quote:
A starting point of 2 to 2.5 degrees (actually you may not need that much) + caster with 1/2 degree + camber in the left wheel and 1/4 degree + camber in the right wheel and 1/8 toe in should be a good starting point for a truck that will track right running down the freeway at 70 MPH without an issue.
...this was after getting exactly the same advice from another shop (who I knew and should have consulted). Anyway, as said above, another alignment set caster to 2-2.5 degrees and it is smooth to well beyond 70. The shop I use now has commented that the FE is easy to work with & adjust. It's been aligned twice more as I made some running modifications for ride/handling.

Quote:
In all the cars and trucks that I've installed MII, all had the top hat on top of frame. I'M NOT SAYING YOURS IS WRONG, JUST NEVER SEEN IT THIS WAY.
oldman3 - this system has been around for a while. Over the years, the 4-5" drop with a narrow track has more less become the standard. I am maybe the least qualified on this thread to talk about suspension, but I seriously doubt that the differences you mention are any part of the problem. This system was designed by Jim Weimer. He was an early innovator in Mustang II systems. When Jim passed away, the design went to JW Rod Garage. They, in turn sell parts of this (like the hats and cross member) to Gayle Richards. He then builds a similar system to slightly different specs. Gayle origially worked for/with Jim Weimer for many years. So, you can see there is a lot of history in use & development. All then name brands are very cool, but there are others out there, too who have been at it for quite a while and have a following.

Nice to see everyone chime in. I know the OP appreciates all your help/advice.
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote