View Single Post
Old 02-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #557
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
I just drive up to the Discount Tire, buy the tire and throw it in the back of my truck. I don't even get them mounted, I do that myself. $85 each for 235/75/15s. I use the same tire on most of my stuff, Goodyear Wranglers.
I'm not sure if Discount Tire is the same as Discount Tire Direct. I use the latter because they are cheapest and have the best selection. We don't have anything in Maryland that compares to these online prices with free shipping. I install and balance the tires at my friend's place. 16" take a big jump in price from the 15s. I bought 235/75-15 Wranglers at Walmart for a really good price before. On my 8-lug 4wds I'm particular about what I run and it costs me a bit more. Cooper is my preferred brand because they are made in the USA by a USA owned company. The compromise for the Suburban is a not so aggressive mud tire. I don't 4-wheel it, most hiway and snow, with a little extra traction needed for soft ground is good. I don't want to pour too much money into the old beast.

I'm keeping my old set of tires for rollers/spares. At the junkyard there was a Ford Van with 3 Accurides I want to go back for. LKQ sets all vehicles up on four stands, which are two wheels welded up. They don't allow jacks. Lots of those Accurides used for that. I'm surprised they haven't taken these. It's just bring a lug wrench and spin them off. They have pull carts and they dismount on site for no charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Glad you found your parts and I hope the panel works out too. A guy might like to have some heat and a/c.
Oh man. I get so aggravated with websites too. Just this evening I opened a site to buy a couple of things and right on the main page is a banner offering a 15% discount on my purchase if I give em my email addy and phone #, which is required info anyway. I never do that until I get to the checkout phase but that was next so I did this time and proceeded to the checkout and the discount wasn't there. I tried to back out of it but no go. They've got my info and I closed the sight. Luckily I didn't choose a method of payment so at the most I should only see texts and email junk! I hate trickery and underhanded crap!
Yep, my rant is I hate the smoke & mirrors bull crap that seems to be the business model these days. How do you spell business? B-u-l-l-s-h-i-t, both words are full of BS. They can't let a good product sell itself on it's own merit these days, they have to put on a song & dance show with flashing lights and bright colors to confuse you into buying... sometimes it seems.

When I was trying to figure out what happened with my order, I kept going through the same process. I thought the wrong size that was suggested was 265/75-16 at first. I thought maybe I hit the 6 instead of the 8. That's the next size down and I considered letting it be. After all, $200+ would buy a lot of other things the 'Burb needs. What I really wanted to get were 255/85s, taller skinnier, so skinnier 265s might be ok. But it was 70 series they swapped in on me. No way I want that much short a tire on my 4wd. Nowhere near what I wanted in the 255/85s. Those would be $1,300 a set, so I went with 285/75s @$800. That's what I've been running on my 8-lugger 88-98s and what is on the '72, so a very practical choice.

One time I ran it through, the pop-up discount offering was for 20" wheels! WTF? Wrong tire AND wheel size! Yeah, save money on tires so I can go buy new wheels . Again it's, "Please STOP helping me!!"

I'm pissed this sets me back 3-5 days from ordering what I tried to get ordered on Saturday. I'll just be ordering the same thing I ordered Saturday, while ignoring the wonderfully helpful pop-up like I always did before!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-28-2022 at 08:50 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote