View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
Wgesnerjr

Re: Borgeson Steering Box

UPDATE
I did the install Saturday afternoon. Pretty straight forward with no issues except ITS HEAVY. The fluid input and output on the box was for o-ring set ups, which I was already running and the steering input lined right up with the rag joint. A bunch of heavy lifting and 4 bolts and it was installed. Only thing I should have done is run a tap through the screw holes in the box. One bolt was a little tight but eventually went in.

Changed the fluid in the reservoir and it took a while to get the bubbles out of the system. Turned the wheel back and forth with wheels off the ground, added fluid, turned wheels again, repeat. Set on the ground, cleaned up and was called to dinner.

After sitting for about 2 hrs. No more noise and I finally got to do a test run after dark. BOY, what a difference! Steering is much tighter. No more dead spot. No more wandering. No more mushy feeling. No more gritty feeling. AND no piddle spots in my driveway.

Before the box, I had been messing with tire pressures to lessen the wandering. I found that 30-33 psi was good to keep it in my lane without too much over-correction. Meaning, I could briefly look at the gauges or radio with getting over the lines.

After the box I have the tires at 35 psi and very good and straight, no wandering. Finally took it on the highway and found it tracked very well needed minimal input to stay in my lane even with the 295/50R15 tires. Its no Rack and Pinon, but its feels like a new car would feel like in the 70s & 80s. Also noticed the vibration I had been fighting was less noticeable. (I still think the Cooper Corbras are to blame)

So I am really impressed with the box and would recommend. There is no core charge with the Borgeson and it comes painted black. Just install and go. Downside=expensive.

Borgeson does offer a collapsible steering shaft with u-joints at both ends. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-000935?rrec=true
That would have been my next stop if the box didn't work out.
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote