View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #19
Raindoc

Re: best steps for three foot deep paint job

It was Kevin from "Trucks" on Spike TV that did a demostation with two doors painted red (non metalic) to show how you can get a deep look by blending clear and base between the regular base coat and the final clear coat. I don't remember the exact ratio but it went something like this 1) spray the base, 2) spray a 75% base/25% clear mixture, 3) spray a 50%/50% mixture, 4) spray a 25% base/75% clear mixture and then spray the 100% clear. Again I may have the number of apps and the ratios off but you get the general idea. I also don't know if it was 1 or 2 or the 100% clear at the end. But it looked good. Yes I'll bet it would be hard to replicate for a repair. Kevin said that the method allowed the light to enter and bounce around a little. I am not advocating it just reporting what I saw. As someone said earlier Kevin seems to know his stuff. There is another TV show "Two Guys with A-D-D" however that advocate protecting bare metal with ATF while doing body work. I am guessing that is wrong.
Raindoc is offline   Reply With Quote