View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
mrein3

Re: Extra Gas Tank Removal, '72 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
OK, this is driving me nuts...... This is a pic of the underside of the tank and the piece I do not know how to remove.
picture snipped
You're supposed to be able to put a socket handle on there and turn them loose. Mine were rusted on so I had to grid the tops of the bolts off.

When I had the tank on the shop floor, the bolts were rusted in the holes through the tank. I used a BFH to drive the bolts out. The tanks are plate steel so they do take some abuse.

When I had the bolts out I cleaned those holes out with various tools to remove the Wyoming clay and rust.

The tank I sent to a shop to be cleaned as it had a leak in a corner. They said because of the plate steel they were able to fix the tank for use. They stated that a stamped sheet metal tank that old with that type of leak would have been a goner.

When I got it back I made long carriage bolts out of short, 1/2" carriage bolts and 1/2" all thread. The re-habbed tank has been hanging there for at least 10 years and is used every time I fill the truck.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote