View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #16
MTCK

Re: Project Daily Driver 77 K10

The UPS guy showed up this week with the gas tank and the rest of my pipe thread to AN fittings so I went to work in the evenings. I just finished all the plumbing tonight, so now all I have to finish is my electrical and bench seat install and I should be back on the road.

Special thanks to Larry for the idea on drilling my sending unit in the 87 tank to accept the fuel from the auxillary tank. I ended up doing that and using a 3/8 NPT elbow to a 3/8 hose barb. I fabbed up a little cross member for my transfer pump and plumbed the two tanks together.

I used some fuel injection application hose clamps to clamp the braided line onto the pickup and return lines out of the tank. This is the only part of the system I'm not 100% excited about. I read that the clamps should work fine with the braided steel lines, so I guess we'll find out. I got a different fuel filter (stock GM TBI application) so that I could have thread on fittings instead of more hose barbs. That took something crazy like a 16mm x 1.5 thread with o-ring to -6AN.

One snag I ran into is that the filler hole on the 87 tank is much larger diameter than the original one. I think I am going to have to run to the parts store tomorrow and get a different rubber hose to mate the parts correctly.

All in all I was very happy with the parts from summit. The quality of their in house stuff seems to be good and the price was right. I also attached some under hood pics showing the routing of the fuel lines as well as the pressure gauge.

Tomorrow's tasks include a bunch of electrical work, wiring both pumps, fans, seat heaters etc, clean up under the hood, install the filler hose and vent, put in the seats and gas it up and turn the key. Should be interesting.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote