View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
AusTx68

Re: 700r4 Overheating

This morning I removed the thermostat and refilled with straight water. At this point there is little no coolant. Just pure water. While running I pulled the cap and topped off the radiator. Water was clearly flowing. I let it idle until the temp hit 175 then adjusted my fan to kick in at that temp. I then hit the road. Once I got moving the temp dropped below 150. I put 20 miles on her and the temp never went above 150! Stayed around 145. I drove back home and pulled the cap. Coolant was down a little so I added more water. There was less foam this time. I let it idle to 175, the fan kicked on and the temp never got higher 175. Hit the road again but this time driving slower country roads with more stops. The motor never got hotter than 160. The fan never kicked in until I hit my driveway and let it idle. At this point I pulled the tab on the radiator cap and it released a lot of pressure and foam. Once the pressure released I pulled the cap and could see water flowing. There was lots of foam. I'm wondering if the foam is from the Preston Super Radiator cleaner I dumped in a couple days ago. I thought I flushed it all out but there may have been some left over.

At this point I feel pretty good. The motor didn't overheat and it felt strong. Now I will drain the water and refill with 50/50 water coolant and leave the thermostat off and keep and eye on it. The truck is not a daily driver and will see little to no time during the colder part of a Texas Winter. Btw, the only other thing I did was tighten my power steering pulley. I noticed it was wobbling. Not sure if that helped.

Last edited by AusTx68; 10-24-2010 at 01:02 PM.
AusTx68 is offline   Reply With Quote