View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #32
theastronaut

Re: Color sand all panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmctee View Post
Same guidecoat as when blocking primer? Just a light fog?
I mask it out and *lightly* spray over-reduced black basecoat on the panel, and then take a rag wetted with reducer and rub the guidecoat down into the scratches. You want it to be very thin so it doesn't clog the sandpaper. You can also just pour the basecoat mix on your towel and rub it on the panel, keeping it wet with thinner. It's harder to get it as even and thin that way but it works good for smaller panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
So you sharpie the clear?? I have done that with bare metal for dolly work, but never the clear. Pretty cool stuff. I like the idea of hanging the hood too. you could almost let the bottom sit on the stand and just get a slight angle on it (so you can see in the light / reflections) and the water and junk drains off. Most excellent work sir..
Thanks! I use hooks in the ceiling and and ratchet straps to hold it up, while the bottom rest on a folding stand. I have a 4 foot double tube florescent light that I drag around while wetsanding and buffing so there's always a light right where I need it. For guidecoat, I explained that above, but I use a sharpie marker to mark deeper/stray-grit scratches that won't buff out.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote