View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #91
CC69Rat

Re: need primer advice

The goal now is to 'get it flat'

How much primer is on it? How many coats of the high build ? How much do you have to sand before it's gone?

Here's where having two colors of primer can help you.

You want to get about an 18 or 24 " long block. I use Durablocks. Sandpaper can be purchased in a roll.. it's normally refered to as PSA (or sticky back.. pressure sensitive adhesive) what I'd suggest is the initial blocking at 320 grit.

Take your 24" block and 320 PSA and sand ..let's say a fender. Starting in the upper left and pull down and across it at a 45' degree angle. NOT in straight lines.. you will sand lines into the primer and it will be seen later on. Smaller areas reguire smaller blocks. Paint stir sticks from Lowes or Home Depot work nicely.

Again don't sand all your primer off. Just knock it down good and flat. The next blocking I'd do 400. Some people don't like to wet sand .. but I do (because the Epoxy is underneath it)
Same idea.. just slicker.

Now, if you're going with a metallic blue you'll want to block the whole truck again with 500. The reason being the metallic will settle into the 400 scratches and you will see it in the paint. 500 will help.. I personally wouldn't suggest metallic for your first all over job. I'd do a nice blue non metallic.

Have fun ! Watch the body lines closely you can blow through your primer pretty easily.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote