View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Steve Van Gent

Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

So I have been wanted to put in power windows in my 65; Cost has been big factor. The kit from nu-relics is $600 for hardware. Electric Life, Auto-loc, is similar. I would rather spend less and use extra money for advanced features for window control instead.

I am going to start with regulator and work toward retro handle.

GOALS FOR REGULATOR-

1. Must be similar quality as Nu-relics.
2. Should be using off the shelf parts or old OEM parts from truck.
3. Must be bolt in, should not have to hack up doors to make it work.
4. Should be low cost.

While studying current power window options, I notice the that all the motors used in kits for our trucks seem to be off the shelf bolt on. I have discovered a motor that seems to be somewhat universal; Dorman Power Window Motors 742-150. about $24 bucks. I also think I can make a small modification to a manual regulator and bolt this motor directly in place of manual crank handle, and I suspect the teeth will mesh exactly.

To this end, I ordered a new motor and new regulator and will video my effort to make my own power window regulator.

If this works, one would be able to take the existing manual regulator out of their door, modify it slightly and bolt new motor on, total cost of $24 bucks per side. Forward looking, I think I can take the splined shaft assembly from that is removed from OEM regulator, modify it slightly, and make a retro power switch for OEM window crank.

Stay tuned!
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote