Old 01-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #121
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
1. OK.

2. OK.

3. OK.

3a. Pull the pan. (See my and dsraven's most recent post.)

4. OK. (There won't be a chain if it's a gear drive.)

5. OK.

6. OK. No thrust bearing needed.

7. OK. It'll be OK unless the cover is stove in, but knock yourself out.

8. Check the lash first to gauge the skill of the previous assembler, then set the lash exactly as shown in the video you posted earlier.

9. Oil pan was pulled in 3a.

9a. Check torque of all rod nuts, crank bolts and oil pump. Inspect the coupler between the oil pump and oil pump drive shaft. Do a visual inspection on the camshaft lobes, piston skirts and lower cylinder walls. Check the pan for anything hitting it. If a stroker crank is installed, check the block for anything hitting it.

9b. Check bearing clearances using plastigage (See dsraven's post, above.) Check the condition of the half bearings in every rod cap and crank cap. (Other half of the bearing will be OK if the lower bearing half is OK.) Take a good look at the rear main seal, but don't remove unless damaged. If it's all good, re-torque all caps.

10. Install a new timing cover crank seal using a high-quality RTV sealant like the old Permatex Form-a-Gasket blue or black goop on both sides of the gasket. (I haven't kept up with the marketing idiots that apparently have changed the name from "gasket sealer" to "gasket maker".) Smear the installed seal and crank nose with a light coating of oil or grease.

10a. Install timing chain cover and gasket using a THIN coat of "blue goop".

10b. Install the two oil pan side gaskets using a hi-tack spray adhesive on the block side of the gasket and a THIN coat of "blue goop" on the pan side. Put a SMALL dab of blue goop in the corners, then install the end rubber gaskets, then put a SMALL dab of "blue goop" in the corners again. (If you use blue goop on both sides of the side gaskets they will probably spurt out when you install the pan. If you use gobs of "blue goop" anywhere it will find its way to the oil pump sump and elsewhere, causing restricted oil flow and general mayhem.)

*** OR DO WHAT DSRAVEN SAID ABOVE FOR GASKET TREATMENT. ***

10c. Install the pan.

11-18. OK.
Bob,

Your awesome. Thank you. I'll keep everyone updated on the status of the repair.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote