View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
dsraven

Re: If I had more brains...And more money. (New Whole Cabs)

here is the write up from the hotrod network for premier street rods new cab assembly. they use jigs as they go for a product that fits when complete. I have never seen a finished new cab from anybody so don't know how any of them fit but these guys seems to at least try to get a good product. I wonder if all the parts were added up how much the cab costs to build without the labour for the guys building it or the special tools required or the shop time, jig research and build etc etc.
like said earlier in the post, the old trucks were not that great for fitment anyway and some guys spend a lot of time getting things right with an original cab and doors. there is a thread on here about a $188k truck built at a hotrod shop and then auctioned off a bit later by the owner. there is a prime example of where a new cab, fenders, box etc could have saved a lot of time and money. if you fix it yourself and don't count the time it is a bit different but still can be costly. some guys will say they did the rebuild but then when asked they simply took it apart and sent the modules to get fixed. the rust repair was done at this shop, the body was done at that shop, the engine was done here, the trans came from there, the frame these guys, the wiring from those guys, etc. add those numbers and compare. a new cab and a new custom frame may be cheap in comparison to the unknown final number of building a truck that way.
from experience, if I had bought the new cab when I had started I would be driving my truck right now. the cab was pretty bad but you are just happy to have found a project truck and be endorsed by the "accountant" finally. it was cheap but needed work. holy cow, that's an understatement for most of us. once it is dissassembled and you add up all the parts, welding and sheet metal supplies. power, extra tools you didn't have, sandblasting, etc etc and time spent, it would be cheaper to buy new. especially if you have a job where you need to NOT work the second job so you can work on your project. that is time lost at the second job which could be worked instead to pay for the cab. see where I'm going here? you get NEW sheet metal, never welded on or patched up with rust on the back side etc. you don't have some one else's previous repair lurking behind filler or patch panels. the truck is done faster and the accountant will be happier since you will have more quality time to spend doing together things (I know, right?)
anyway, just a thought for some of the newbies, you gotta start somewhere and will need a registration from some original vehicle likely but you can sure open a can of worms with some projects. sometimes, if you can't afford the new cab or whatever, it is better to pay a bunch more for a known good solid unit with some build history than get something almost free and then spend more money to fix the crusty stuff. in the end you get something fixed.
ok, end of rant. sorry.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/prem...hevrolet-cabs/
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote