View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #25
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Rear brake upgrade: 11” to 13”

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborjm View Post
Good Stuff!!! Flopped as in the direction, front to back is different?

Now... I just need to find some 13 inch mounting brackets. No plans for disk brakes for me.

Thank you!

Rob
I’ve seen a few different shock brackets orientations on ¾ tons but often 1 tons the shocks can be on one side of the axle instead or staggered. You should be fine with the axle you are using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
As always an awesome stock looking upgrade Larry.

I got rid of the rear D60 for an '05 14B disc axle from a 2500 HD. Got a good deal but TBH, really can't see a difference in stopping power between the 60 and 14B. One HUGE difference as you had noted was that the parking brake on the disc axle sucks compared to the drum axle. It holds and has never slipped but also has never inspired the confidence that the drum brake did. I personally think that the surface area of the disc parking brake shoe isn't nearly 1/3 of the size of the drum.... and with 13" drums, its probably 1/4 of the size (probably less) than the drums.
Thanks! Yeah, I have a 2001 Silverado HD with a manual trans so I use the park brake constantly. While the pedal is easy to push and it has never rolled away it does not have a confident feeling to the park brake. It is also easy to drive off with the park brake fully applied whereas the big drum brake rigs give the feeling they are drilled into the ground.

Actually, this thread is 5 years old but it is ironic it got pushed to the top as the truck is under the knife again for an axle upgrade. Ditched the Detroit locked 14 bolt and went with a wider G-van 14 bolt with an ARB air locker. Story HERE. Renewed all the drum brake pieces while I was at it....the truck has turned a lot of highway and off-road miles in 5 years
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote