View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
D13

Re: Home brew W&G remover?

I'm spraying sandblasted trailer and truck chassis parts (frames axles etc) and power washed / possibly blassted manual transmissions and bell housings (well oiled thanks to the dirty diesel and bad rear seal on the 250) with 2 part epoxy followed by black cheap enamel. Surface finish is unimportant, but paint adhesion is critical for my dirt road winter salt dipped drivers. Plus I have a 120 bin parts cabinet that needs to be cleaned and painted.
I use brake cleaner for small parts with lots of grease (like starter braces and shifter parts) because the power spray lets it get into the little crevices. But at $3.50 a can on sale it gets real expensive real fast. I use W&G remover on the larger stuff where I can get it relatively clean first, and that seems to run $10-15 a gallon. I used to use straight acetone ($15 / gal) or denatured alcahol ($10/gal) but the W&G seems to be right in the middle of those for grease wash off and flash times. My current jug seems to be about 50% water.

Just asking. LOL. And no, when I did the base / clear on the minivan I used the right stuff, because finish was important.
Plus a mess o' tractors

Last edited by D13; 11-15-2017 at 07:35 AM.
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote