View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
This is a good thread. Very interesting following you around on your travels. You are an accomplished photographer, along with your other talents. I work around boilers also, I've been a pipefitter for many years, and boilers are closely related. Mostly the ones I've been in are 20+ stories tall and power papermills, steam turbine powered electric generating stations, things like that. Occasionally I've installed/relocated/re-piped what
we call a "package boiler", which is closer in size to what you picture. They come in on flatbed trucks, on a skid. Cutler/Hammer for the most part. We can attach to them but not work on the actual boiler, except certain screw on/bolt on parts.

I also love the hoar frost, never knew what it was called before tho. Thanks for enlightening me. Now I can sound more edjumakateded when iz a talkin tew them peeblez.
We call those big ones utility boilers and they are just a small percentage of the boilers out there. Probably <1%. I've worked with a lot of pipefitters over the years and thought briefly of going that route after the navy, but went a different way. I've inspected a few. My friend Damon, with the cannon, does more of those. My employer has a separate division that works with utilities, but I shy away from it because I like to see my family more than a few times a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
I love that green JAVELIN.
It's pretty nice. I always liked the AMX's. He's kinda jealous of me though. He always stops when he's driving by and see's me outside and checks out what I'm working on. He's jealous cause I get to drive mine around. Said he's thinking about de-tuning his a bit to make it more drivable so he can enjoy it more and quit breaking it. He's nearing retirement too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
My father in law worked at the old Rudy Farms sausage plant here in Florence ,Ala. for 39 years before he passed away and he had to work on their boilers all the time also.I have heard some horror stories where there was several different boilers blowing there stacks,haha,.

It was HOT during the summer in that room also.
Interesting pics BTW.I likem all.
They are hot year round unless the boiler is shutdown. An example of my day in the winter...
Go outside to cold car, -20F on a cold day. Start and go, it warms up and your at like 55F. Get to your first stop, get out of the car, and its warmed up to -5F, go into the reception area of location, 72F, go to the boiler room, 95F, back to reception, and outside, into now cold car, warm it up and repeat a few times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
is that a model A and 2 model 80s? those are pretty rare!!

and i dig the forward control jeeps are neat!!

i too live in rural america!
Its an A, an 80 and I think a 60, but I'll ask later.

Whenever I go home to Little Falls (where I grew up) I almost always stop at the dam and just watch for a while. Something about the roaring water I really like. I believe this dam is the farther upstream of any dam on the Mississippi, but could be wrong.

A couple summers ago I was in western Wisconsin in the Sparta area and saw 3 choppers flying overhead (there's a nat'l guard base nearby). I noticed they were carrying a load. I had my better camera with me and got a couple good shots.

MN is along a migration path for pelicans. Every spring we have large Squadrons (I looked it up, thats the term for a grouping, gotta keep learning) of pelicans come through.

Sunrise from my back door one winter morning on my way out to work.

The sun hits the water vapor from this stack in the morning and makes it look like fire rolling out of it. Its not smoke, its water vapor from the milk dehydrator.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote