View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #28
Coupeguy2001

Re: Power brakes with manual transmission

I used a Hydroboost unit and master I got from a 96 Chevy dually.
First, I cut off the master cylinder bore on the cast iron original master cylinder and used it for the pedal support.
Then I went to a metal fabricator and bought a piece of steelone foot long, 5 inches wide, 1/4 inch thick, and a piece of one inch flat stock that was 3/16 thick and 14 inches long.
I had the metal fabricator guy bend the big piece in a 90 degree angle, and on one side, drilled 4 3/8 holes and mounted it to the inside frame rail. On the other side of the piece of metal, I used a hole saw, and made the large hole for the hydroboost to go through, and the little 3/8 holes to mount it. Next, I drilled a 3/8 hole in each end of the strap piece, and bent the strap at each end to go from the frame to the outermost corner of the 90 degree metal piece. Then I just bolted everything together, and went to Ace Hardware and bought the rod and threaded the ends to work with the brake clevis and the booster.
I had to make hydraulic lines that went inside the frame rail on the left side to get the power steering fluid to and from the hydroboost unit. I made my own brake lines and what I couldn't make, I bought at o Reilly's.
I added the ten pound check valve for the rear brakes, and aadjustable pressure reducer, and a 2 PSI check valve for the front brakes. Started it up and after purging the air bubbles, hasn't quit on me in 5 years.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote