View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #349
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1941 View Post
Instagram? Are you mad? I can barely work email...haha
That's good to hear on shackle flip. Never built a Sub for keeping but given current status of things, middle of no where sounds about right and this one was as close to free as you can get.
Now with the little girl, pandemic adopted dog, wife plus camping junk, Blazers are just too small plus I like the "I'm off roading in my lazy boy" that Sub seat gives me.
Your squirt must be must be huge by now. Mines 8 and she knows EVERYTHING including how to read wrench/socket sizes. Finally handy to have around now.
I'm joking...She loves helping me fix stuff that isn't broken.

I like the rotor t-case balancer holder upper. Smart...like Homer smart.
And sure looks pretty in there. I like clean a underneath.
Ive got the JB SYE kit going in but like you no need for CV on this length of DS. Flange yoke, slip joint and go. I am stuffing a 1" zero rate to bring rear up more than front for gear, gas etc.
Every lifted 208/241 with slip tailshafts killed seals. Never a bent one, just the angle stress wiped them out. 5-8k miles all I ever got out of them before making a mess on the drive.
I'll let you know how it goes and glad to see you still respond. You're a good egg.
Thanks!
Ha! IG is quick and easy, which is about all I have time for anymore. My days of playing on forums has been whittled down to practically nil outside of a few entries into CK5 a month.

sounds like as good reasons to grow into a Suburban than any! Kids, dogs, camping! Blazers get small quick!

Ya, mine is getting big as well. Its absolutely amazing to watch her grow from an infant to now a 2nd grader that is much smatter than I ever was at that age. It’s amazing what they learn these days and how she speaks like a little adult. She loves to hang out with me in the garage and play with tools, look at parts, ask how things work, etc. In fact, when I bolting the transmission back in the Suburban she helped run the DeWalt driver to screw the shifter boot down while I held a wrench below. She also helped bleed the clutch. She is becoming a little shop rat and photo bomber!

Funny about the 8 lug rotor/transfercase holder. A few 241s builds ago, I rummaged through my junk pile to look for something to use a jig besides using a bucket and spotted an 8 lug rotor. As it turns out the nose of a 208 and 241 fits perfectly in the hub hold and stays well balanced too. Total Homer style!

Got the shaft back yesterday. It had to be cut down to make it longer. The reason I suspect the rear output on the 241 was bent is because I had a shaft made for a years ago what was a tad long. It wasn’t long after the 2016 Desert Trip when one of my friends came along and drove the Polar Bear did the vibration get worse. I’m pretty sure while flexing and bouncing that week the driveshaft stabbed the output hard on a compression when the back of the Burb was loaded with camping gear. After that trip it started eating seals and slip yoke bushings as well. I should have ran a gauge on the output before tearing it down but I was too excited to do the SYE regardless

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 12-02-2020 at 12:56 PM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote