Thread: Wiper Mystery
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Re: Wiper Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCShively View Post
I purchased a 84 wiper/wiper motor. It has a pigtail on the top left with a black/blue and a gray wire. To the right and a little lower are large two male connectors, no pigtail for this one. On the bottom is a pigtail with a white wire and a pink wire.
The top/left 2-wire connector with the black/blue and gray wires is for the park switch that makes the blades return to the bottom of the windshield when the switch is turned off.

The two large male connectors off to the right of that are for the washer pump relay. Those should have a plug with a white and pink wire.

The connector on the bottom of the motor should have 3 wires ... white, gray, and purple. From your description, it sounds like you're missing this pigtail and somehow have the one for the washer pump with the white/pink wires hooked there instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCShively View Post
From the column are 5 wires. Lt blue, gray, pink, purple and black.
That matches up with the 84 wiring diagram except it's showing a black w/ light blue stripe wire instead of a solid light blue. Might be a newer year or replacement switch.

Anyway, to connect it all up, you'll want to run the +12V ignition feed wire from your new wiring harness to the white wire that should be on the 3-terminal plug that's on the bottom of the motor. The +12V feed should also go to the white wire on the plug that connects to the washer pump relay (two large male terminals on the front).

The gray wire from the park switch should run down and connect to the gray wire on the 3-terminal plug that's on the bottom of the motor. And it should branch off and run back to the gray wire on the switch.

The purple wire from the 3-terminal plug on the bottom of the motor should run run directly back to the purple wire on the switch.

The black wire with lt blue stripe from the 2-terminal plug on the park switch (upper left) should run directly back to the black/blue wire (or in your case lt blue) wire on the switch.

The pink wire from the 2-terminal plug on the washer pump relay also runs directly back to the pink wire on the switch.

And finally, the black wire on the switch is a ground.

Here's a quick diagram I drew up using a pic of a wiper motor I found on the net:

Last edited by ray_mcavoy; 02-21-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added diagram
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote