Thread: Wing Vent Noise
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
darrellyates

Re: Wing Vent Noise

On my first '68 I built, it made lots of wind noise. No water leaks, but lots of wind noise when driving. Actually whistled....

I'm old enough to remember these trucks in the first person... We always closed the wing windows with matchbooks under the lever to tighten up the seal and reduce wind noise. It's been an issue with them since they were new.

Others will doubtless give you contradictory information, however, I drove one in my teenage years (my Dad's truck); and I'm telling you, it's a common issue.

Of course, door alignment will contribute as well, on my last build I had to build up the "A" pillar part of the door frame about 3/8 of an inch to correct the gaps. It helps reduce the wind noise as well.

To determine where your problem is, use tape on the vent glass (cover it all the way around) and then drive the truck. If it continues to whistle, try covering the gap between the door frame and "A" pillar. You will quickly determine which is causing the noise. However, since you replaced the rubber and it makes noise, likely it's just part of the fun of owning one of these trucks.

I did try one piece windows in my last build. Others will also contradict this statement, but they are quieter running down the interstate; or at least mine is quieter than my previous C10.

Good Luck!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote