View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
MARTINSR

Re: New here, loaded question

Personally I would look for the one with a solid cab, forget the rest of the stuff it all can be bought one at a time. If you could be a truck cheap because the bed and fenders are smashed up junk and the cab is solid and you don't have to replace the floor and stuff, that would be killer. Then buy the parts you need when you find them in good condition for a good price as you are doing other work on the truck over the possible years you will be working on it.

You DO NOT need to have all the stuff at once, parts come along over time and if you keep your eye open they will fall in your lap.

DO NOT buy any reproduction sheetmetal outside of repair panels like floors or patch panels or that sort of thing, or the bed, or something simple like a valance panel, but that is IT, DO NOT buy reproduction fenders or hood or doors or anything like that, DO NOT! Just sit back and work on the truck and those original parts will fall in your lap. I have found this to be the truth over the years on every project I have ever done.

Don't make the mistake thinking you need everything at once, you have already made the first step, you have "moved into the community" well at least you are driving through the neighborhood. You need to MOVE IN to the Chevy AD (Advanced design, mid year 1947 to first series 1955) community and you will find that stuff is available, it's not that big of a deal. They made a zillion of these trucks and stuff is out there.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote