View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #37
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Its been the holiday, take your time! I'm glad you chose to have a build thread here because all I need is another forum and password to remember LOL!
Know what you mean, however, I figured posting up on the 55-57 Chevy forum could help when I eventually hit the wall. Not that my buds on this forum don't know anything about tri-five Chebbies.

Since I last posted, I made some headway with the tailgate. Still slowly stitching up the new metal, but took some time to install and test the electric popper for the latch release. Works pretty good. Much of the OEM manual release mechanism is cast out of pot metal. I was afraid the sudden action of the solenoid might be too much for it so I built a sleeve and lever out of 4130 chromoly material. It fits over the pot metal socket that originally attached to the external handle. I drilled and tapped a couple of 6-32 holes into a meaty area so I feel it will be a lot less likely to fracture when activated. At the same time, I machined a stainless spud for the other side and tapped it for a 7/16-20 LH thread. This will allow me to attach a handle on the inside as an emergency release. Posted a video demonstration on YouTube.

Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote