View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #22
asphaltburner

Re: '78 3/4 ton 4x4 FRANKENTRUCK

Yo! Spent this AM buying a '76 fuel tank from the junkyard,...meant to get a replacement hanger and strap but found the '73 hanger to have a different bolt pattern, and the flatbeds' tank had been banged at the front, so thought I'd chance buying the whole thing. Good thing I did! Not only is the bolt pattern a bit different, but this '76 tank is perfect, and IS an auxillary tank! Mirror image of the '78 FRANKENTRUCK's tank and mountings. So I don't even have to turn the straps around! Shiny inside, and now washed and dryed inside and out.
Spent a good portion of the day on the phone helping Classic Industries figure out a fuel sender mislabelling problem,...seems their supplier has mislabelled LH fuel tank senders as RH, and when I got off the phone this eve, my rep was going to pull ten of the thirty they have to see if ANY of them are RH senders,...he hopes there weren't 1000 of them to begin with!! Imagine the return issue! Yipes!!
Used my 9" grinder to remove the eight rivets that secure the farthest rear crossmember in the P/U,...somebody tryed to tow/pull something BIG and bent it nearly 90 degrees! Didn't effect the frame back there, but it was partially torn away. I can use the identical crossmember from the flatbed, and bolt it in with grade eights.
Gotta start installing my new fuel tank valve that'll swap tanks for me, and the Summit electric pump. I changed my mind and expect to mount the pump within the angle of the frame just aft of the emergency brake mechanism. It'll be at the level of the bottom of the tanks, well protected, and away from the driveline/tcase. Coming along,...Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 08-07-2008 at 11:28 PM.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote