View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: can anyone confirm this brake swap compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannont View Post
I have a "50 3800 DRW, was reading a Tech Tip about swapping the 5.14 pumpkin to a 4.10 as the easy way to gain freeway speeds. Further down in the article it says this...

"All HO52/72 rears can use any year of brakes. So a dual rear wheel rear brake system from 72 bolts in place of a 47 DRW system. Plus, almost all 14 bolt from 73-2006 brake system will work also. Wow, so you can ditch those Huck brakes at the same time ... "

Has anyone done this, or can anyone confirm that this is true? Would save me a lot of heartache and expense if I could do this on my 3800 DRW!
mostly right, but,,,,, if you can find a 4:11 rear then do it. its a great swap. using any year brake is not actually correct, the brakes changed from slide on drums in 61 or 62 to drums that were held on by the lug studs so you would need hub, drum and brakes parts that match what ever year your swapping to. Using 14 bolt from any year not so true, The 14 bolt has a different flange mount from HO rears in late 70's. and in a different locations. Any 14 bolt up past 2002 or 2003 would have a disc brake on it.

The better swap is a 2002 up 14 bolt from a C&C GM truck, something out of a tow truck or U-Haul like cab and chassis that fits the length you have. Its usually the cheapest as well. any conversion will start at $600 and go to $1200, the disc conversions mentioned from Ruff stuff Specialties do not have an emergency brake or any way to add one. unless thats changed recently , they do make them for 12, 14 and HO rears.

Pirate 4x4 has an excellent write up on 14 bolts and disc swaps for various rears.

I've done a number of the HO gear and brake swaps and its always a challenge to get the parts to complete it. Rebuild kits are very hard to come by for HO and very expensive if you do, forget about a ring gear set . The pinion bearings alone can go for $600 with no other parts. I much prefer the 14 bolt swap. Move the perches and your done basically, newer rear and brake that you can get parts for in 10 years.

Last edited by dwcsr; 10-02-2017 at 02:06 AM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote