Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #5417
MikeB

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
... have you tried the Crane Cams 10309-1 spring kit on them to get the higher lift or the Comp Cams 26915, 26918 beehive springs?
After running the stock heads for a year or so, I switched to GM LS6/LS2 beehive valve springs. Installed them at 1.750" using CompCams 787-16 retainers and 648-16 locks. It's a super clean setup.

Cam is a GMPP roller used in the HT383 and RamJet 350 crate engines. It's a small cam by "bigger is better" hot rodder standards, but GM's HP/TQ chart for the RamJet shows it has a very wide powerband that's perfect for an around town cruiser and running to the dump. But the engine is definitely not a dog when I stomp on the gas. In fact, if/when I go to a lower gear than its current 2.73, the truck should be downright quick.

My headers are Patriot H8048, which are made in the same Mexico plant using the same pattern as Doug's headers. (Both are Pertronix brands.) However, I had to re-route the hard lines on the passenger side because the #2 tube hit them. What a PITA. But, man the tubing is heavy gauge, the flanges thick, and they tuck up high. For the money, your Flowtechs look great.

Edit: Don't even think about using those headers gaskets. What's worked for me over the years are both Fel-Pro square (#1444) and Mr. Gasket round (don't have the P/N) steel core header gaskets. Also, Summit aluminum collector gaskets. All are reusable 1-2 times. But heck, we know you never tear anything apart once it's assembled.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 05-08-2018 at 09:55 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote