View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #25
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

Got a ton of bodywork done today in a matter of minutes. Whaaaaa? Yup -- bought a new cab and doors. Not as rust-free as originally expected but the gentleman who sold it to me gave me a heads-up on that before driving more than 100 miles to deliver it to me, plus he knocked quite a bit off the price. Considering it's an A/C cab in VERY solid condition, that it came with a pair of more or less perfect '72 doors, AND he threw in a rust-free driver's fender (needs a dent in the front cup repaired) I think it was a great transaction for both of us. It'll save me untold frustration compared with trying to repair the existing cab.

The bad things about the cab:

* Rockers and cab corners have been repaired previously. Driver's side rocker is rusted through. Both outer rockers will be replaced and possibly inners, too. The inners aren't bad at all, but as long as I'm doing it I'm gonna do it right. Gonna reserve judgment on the cab corners until I can strip the paint and see what I'm dealing with.

* There's some body filler popping up around the gas filler area, but I'm not exactly sure why it's there because from the inside I can't see any damage. Who knows why people do things?

* There's a rust spot the size of a quarter on the firewall right near the blower motor hole. No big deal -- an easy fix on flat metal in a hidden area.

The good:

* The floors and supports are VERY solid.

* It's an A/C cab that had the Cheyenne package, so the holes for a headliner are there. It's got the cargo light in back, too (well, a spot for it, anyway).

* It's got a brand-new windshield. (Any way to remove it and the seal without destroying the new seal? The glass is gonna have to come out for prep and painting.)

Pics follow. The last two were taken with the camera shoved inside the door to show the inside bottom. Pretty nice, huh?
Attached Images

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)

Last edited by brossow; 07-26-2008 at 12:47 AM.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote