View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #160
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
OK it sounds like some 8.1 swap updates are in order! I think I'm going to try some Cooper ST Maxx once my truck is up a bit higher.
Well not much to report on the engine just yet but it is eating my lunch money! Boy am I glad I decided to throw a RayLar cam in this engine! Let me tell you why….. This engine was a warranty core that has been laying around for 7 to 8 years. The causual failure was the oil pump drive, which breaks the drive shaft when the drive locks up. The pump drive basically takes place of the distributor where it supports the top side of the oil pump drive shaft. Same design as a 6.2/6.5L diesels. Back around 2006/2007 these oil pump drive failures were pretty common due to a supplier issue and the drives were on intergalactic back order so many engines were swung to avoid Lemon Law for days out of service. Anyway, knowing this engine had suffered the oil supply issue I dropped several rods and mains. All of the bearings looked great so I hoped the cam bearings would be too. Then I decided to add the RayLar cam and when I yanked the old cam I found the cam bearings were toast! They have huge burn out marks on them, especially the center bearing. They did not spin in the bore but the surface of the bearing look like crap. So it is a damn good thing I decided to install a RayLar cam otherwise I wouldn’t have known the cam bearings were toast until I fired it up and found low oil pressure. Also found one phuckered up roller lifter as well. The roller won't even roll till you tap on it on the bench.

The ***** of it is now is finding all the bits and pieces. The rod nuts are one time use only and so far I can only find 5 new nuts. I still need 11 more and GM has them on an 8 week lead time. Hopefully, I can find some on dealer’s shelves. I see Scoggin Dickey has some but they want a left nut for each rod nut. Lifters are easy to come by on Ebay but I played hell finding the right cam bearings as the Sealed Power M1404 (?) bearings Napa lists are not right. GM actually lists 3 different bearing part numbers to make up the 5 positions. The Sealed Power cam bearing kit uses one bearing for each position. That may have worked out fine but I don't want to take my chances running a high dollar camshaft on questionable aftermarket cam bearings.

I also bought a set of head gaskets, 5 rod nuts and all of the seals/gaskets from work but I still need to buy head bolts providing we remove the heads while replacing the cam bearings. We’re hoping we can sneak the cam bearings in without yanking heads to pull pissers out of the way. If we end up pulling pissers at least I have the head gaskets here if we need them. We’ll see! I was hoping to get this engine installed over Christmas but this latest delay skewed that plan. Prolly be sometime the first quarter of 2015 by the time it is installed.

Oh, I also got a set of shortly Sanderson headers for it too. I am really anxious to see how it runs with a cam and headers compared to the blue trucks stock 8.1L. I am a 100% header hater so I hope these Sanderson’s make me a lover because I haven’t found a friggen header that I ever liked. I hate the leaks, burnt wires and fried starter motors that headers are so often responsible. We see how these work out. The headers on the 396 on my little hot rod 68' GMC have pretty much ruined me of headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
Not trying to hi jack DirtyLarry but I had what is hopefully a quick question. I have a 6 round pattern 32 spline 205 that I am planning on mating to a NV4500 from a 94 Chevy k2500. I was going to run the AA spacer but feared my t-case shifter would then be to far back into my bench seat. So since both a 32 spline will they mate up without any mods as long as I clearance the nv4500 for the t-case linkage?

If not what are my options to mate them directly to keep my drivetrain shorter and t-case shifter more forward?

I would have sent a PM but you don't have that option.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Hey Chevy 3+3,

You really don’t need that spacer if you change the front input shaft to a short 32 spline input gear. ORD sells short inputs and may even give you a healthy trade for the long you probably have now. Regardless, which way you go to bolt the tcase to the trans you will need to come up with a solution for the 205 shifter. ORD’s twin stick is probably the best solution out there. I used their twin stick on the NV4500/205 in my K10. Check it out.

Oh, check this out. The blue truck made it to Peterson’s 4 Wheel & Off-Road! January 2015 issue which hits newsstands any day now. I haven’t seen the mag yet so I am as curious as anybody.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote