Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #18
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

rsd6620,

Thanks for your reply. I talked with my Uncle who owned a 63 that he got new....He said that the accent strips were put on many trucks but none every was put on the paperwork....He kinda made its seem like it was "Pin Striping" type of thing. He said he remember seeing them when they came out in 66....It may have been a dealer item so I am really unsure.

Here is a couple of things that I am thinking about...Since this truck has lived its whole life in Alabama ( I have the original license plate from 66 on the truck now) I am going to see if I can find the original owner, or someone in his family that may know.

I haven't really taken anything apart as of yet, just small little things trying to clean them up. I will definitely look begin and under the seat to see if I can find anything..This truck still has the cardboard that goes between the seat and the tank...so maybe its I there.

I know at one time there was a sticker on the inside of the glove box....maybe 3" x 4" but someone removed it.

I do think that the running gear is original...It still has the metal pipe that goes from the radiator to the motor...It also still has the grounding straps that attach to the valve covers on each side...what little paint is left on the engine does coincide with the year and engine type.

Someone in a earlier post said based on the motor number on the passenger side motor that the number suggest that it is a correct year motor...made in 2/21/66 in Flint...it is a 327 as well.....

I'm still degreasing the tranny to see if I can find a number on it as well as the rear end,

I can also say that the front fenders are not original....I crawled up under the truck and noticed that one fender has been damaged at one point, and fixed with a non 66 fender. I can tell this because the fender emblems from the donor truck appear to be from a 63 since the emblems mount vertical instead of horizontal but they are original fenders and not reman stuff.

It looks like it has also been painted twice, once red and then back white again...

I think I am going to leave the truck white with the red stripes and red tailgate letters, just ;like it is painted now...may not be 100% original but good enough for me.
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote