View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #21
homemade87

Re: Fuel injection conversion with dual tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Bill View Post
Does anyone know if the 1987 fuel pickup/pump/sending unit assembly will work on 1985 or 86 fuel tanks? I have 2 good 85 tanks. Would like to use the 87 pump units for fuel injection too... but ~$120 for both pump units vs ~$300+ for new tanks... looking were I can save on the budget.

A long ways to go to get a truck built and I haven't even started yet! :|

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carl
Just to answer some questions about this in this thread . Short answer is yes . But there is some things to consider . I put a 87 sender in my 82 tank when I converted to the 87 tbi . The baffle is there for only when the gas level gets low to keep the gas around the fuel pump when inertia ( braking , cornering , ect ) try's to moves the fuel away from the pump . I went into this knowing the problem so I never let the fuel get below 1/4 tank and run it like this for 15 years . Once in a while I let the fuel get a little low and have to brake hard at a light and it would stumble a little . Never a good idea to run elect fuel pump low anyway . This is how it stays cool .

The carb is forgiving for this because it stores it own fuel and if the pick up is uncovered for a second you would never know it . The fuel F/I uses pressure to supply the fuel directly so if you uncover the pickup the pressure will immediately drop and interrupt the fuel supply to the engine .

If you are one of those that run your fuel to the end or only put $10.00 in at a time you are going to have trouble . If you sell your truck and the next guy does not know what going on they are going to have trouble .

In the end its best to use the baffle tank . I have since converted my 82 to a ls2 with a new 87 tank . I only have one tank .

Just something to think about .

Answer to Carls question is yes . The sending units will fit .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote