View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
Mr_Rich

Re: 97 GMC 1500 can’t get brakes bled

I've never had a problem bleeding the brakes on my '89, but the '97 with 4WAL brakes is another story. I bought the J tool to assist in the brake bleeding task.

I came across this prose about two years ago. Editorial at the end is not mine.

KELSEY-HAYES 4WAL BLEEDING PROCEDURE

Brakes can be bled in the usual way manually or with pressure or vacuum equipment. The wheel bleeding sequence is RR, LR, RF, LF. If a pressure bleeder is used, the combination valve must be held open.

If the EHCU Modulator or accumulator have been replaced, or air has entered the ABS part of the system, the EHCU modulator will have to be bled using one of two special procedures:

The preferred method is to cycle the ABS system using a factory scan tool or an aftermarket pro-level scan tool that has bi-directional capabilities so it can access the ABS system and cycle the pump and solenoids. A basic DIY scan tool that only reads codes and sensor data cannot do this.

If you can't get your hands on the proper scan tool, you can use the following manual bleeding procedure:

1. First, bleed the entire brake system using a pressure bleeder or vacuum bleeder. Pumping the brake pedal also works but must be done carefully so air doesn't siphon back into the lines. Bleed the wheels in this order: Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front.

2. Once all the air is out of the master cylinder and brake lines (no bubbles in the clear plastic bleeder hose you have attached to each of the calipers or wheel cylinders), you can proceed to bleeding the ABS system.

3. Open the internal bleed screws on the modulator one quarter to a half-turn. These are the cap screws on either side of the modulator. Note: Some newer 4WAL systems do NOT have these bleed screws so you must use a scan tool to bleed the system or try loosening the brake lines to the modulator to vent air.

4. Connect special tools (such as Kent-Moore No. J39177) to hold open the high-pressure accumulator bleed valves.

5. Open the two bleeder screws at the BPMV and bleed the unit by forcing fluid through it with a pressure bleeder or by slowly pumping the brake pedal. Do NOT allow the master cylinder reservoir to run low (add brake fluid as needed during this procedure).

6. Bleed the wheels again as before: RR, LR, RF, LF

7. Tighten the modulator bleed screws and remove the tools from the high-pressure accumulators.

8. Turn the ignition on and start the engine. Press down firmly on the brake pedal several times. If the pedal does not feel firm, turn the engine off, pump the pedal to relieve residual pressure in the system, and bleed each of the four brakes as before to get rid of any air in the system.

It's a pain to go through all of these steps, but if you do not and air is trapped in the ABS unit (or pump on applications that have a pump), it will eventually get into the lines and give you a soft pedal.

In other words, if you're doing this in your driveway and it's cold outside, welcome to hell.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote