View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
xlcooplx

Question 79 C10 Starting Problem

Guys, have a question regarding my 79 but should apply to any GM vehicle with a Saginaw steering column. When I bought the truck, I was able to start it with the column and steering wheel in any position. Over the past 8 months, this has progressively changed. Initially, I started having to tilt the column all of the way down for the truck to start. As the condition got worse, I would have to have the column tilted all of the way down and the wheel would have to be turned either left or right in order for the starter to turn over. Over the last few days, the "sweet spot" has gotten even harder to engage. I am still able to turn the ignition cylinder forward but when I do, the starter no longer turns over.

I imagine its one of two causes. Ignition switch at the base of the column versus the actuator rack/sector gear. I’m sure some of you have dealt with this before. I have my suspicion its the rack but I’d rather have additional input prior to spending an entire day tearing down the column only to find out I was wrong. Thanks for the help!