View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Need A Key For Your Suburban Tailgate Lock?

-
This "How To" is for the guys & gals that have a tailgate lock for their Suburban but no key. It is pretty straight forward but I have had a couple of people ask me how to get a key cut for them.. First thing you have to do is remove the latch and lock assembly from your tailgate (if it isn't already out). (picture 1) Then remove the two screws and remove the lock assembly (picture 2) and set the latch aside. Push down on the bottom spring cup and remove the snap ring. (picture 3) Then slide the spring assembly out making sure to keep the parts in order.(picture 4) If you will notice the spring cups are different on each end of the spring. After you have the spring assembly out slide the lock cylinder and shaft out. You don't have to worry too much about this as it will only go back in one way. On the cast piece just below the chrome cap you should find a code number stamped.(picture 5) A good full service locksmith should be able to cut you a key from that code number that will fit the lock. I can't guarantee there will be a code number on every lock, but if there isn't, a full service locksmith can remove the chrome cap and make a key by "reading" the wafers in the cylinder.. If you can't find anyone in your area to cut a key from the code # or by reading the wafers let me know.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-03-2016 at 11:43 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote