View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #12
FirstOwner69

Re: Question for the purists

I bought my truck off the lot in 1969. It was a high option CST 3/4 ton with buckets and A/C. About the only things it lacked were gauges and power brakes, but the dealer added power brakes as a condition of the sale.

I'm normally a purist. I restored my '58 Corvette to NCRS standards, and it received the NCRS Duntov and Bloomington Gold awards. When I restored the truck starting in 2010, I added options such as OEM gauges with tach, tilt wheel, and AM/FM. Of course, the tilt and AM/FM weren't available in 1969 but are correct for this generation. I also replaced the bed wood with fancy oak and the original 350 with a GM Vortec crate 350. I still have the original engine and all removed parts that will go with the truck when my heirs sell it.

I think the difference in the way I approached the 2 restorations was due to the fact that I'd owned the truck so long and just wanted it to be a bit more unique and enjoyable. All changes made could be fairly easily reversed by a new purist owner (but, other than perhaps the engine, I don't know why) using the original parts on hand.

I have been toying with the idea of having a new SPID made but would never consider replacing the original or misrepresenting the truck. It would, however, be cool to display the SPIDS side-by-side.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 10-09-2017 at 12:36 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote