View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: uni vs. standard points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
I don't care what ign system that you play with...eventually, it will need some help? I have run the stock HEI , on most of my street bound toys...I played with points in the early days...(tween 5000-10000 miles on the street), she was ready for a tune up? I have also run the Pertronix Ignitors, really did not see an issue....if I got 15,000 miles out of the unit, My thoughts are that it payed its dues Take all the info, from all of the good guys here...then make you own dission. Have fun, shiney side up...Longhorn
+1. It's fun to play with all sorts of ignitions and learn. Points are good to know since it takes us back to our roots. Understanding points really makes you understand how timing, coil field collapse theory, and dwell all work together. In some applications, you can't beat the simplicity (or, eh, brute force) of them. You can be surprised at what can be learned from the old ways -- for example, it wasn't until I studied and experimented with points that I learned that the spark is produced at the moment when the points OPEN.

Understanding stuff like that eventually leads you to making better decisions about your ignition system -- including whether converting to electronic ignition is right for your or not.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote