Thread: 55.2-59 57 GMC how rare??
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 57 GMC how rare??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
What are you considering all the bells and whistles? Do you have any pictures of the truck?

I once had a 3/4 ton '57 Suburban (GMC's Cameo), very rusty, that I bought for parts. The bed was taken long before I got the truck as someone offered the PO "Big Money" for it. Factory options that I remember included Hydramatic, V8, Clock, Radio, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Two-Tone Green Interior, Arm Rests, Cigarette Lighter, Electric Wipers, Custom Cab, BBW, Chrome Grille and Bumper, and Green Tinted Glass.

The GMC version of power steering was different from the Chevrolet version. It used a separate pump, not a generator mounted pump, and the power steering was all contained in the steering box rather than using a separate control valve and assist piston. The pump and the box had a large, distinct S like the S used with Saginaw parts, but the name on both components was Safety. I have only seen this pump and box on one other vehicle since. Power braking was provided with a Hydravac system. Hydravac is not ultra-rare but I haven't seen many small TF trucks equipped with it. I have seen clocks, armrests, and Hydramatic. I have seen V8 equipped trucks. I have seen two tone interiors but not the green that was in the GMC. Deluxe cab and BBW is not uncommon but I don't remember seeing another tinted glass TF pickup.

If your truck is loaded like the one I had, I think the combination of parts is somewhat uncommon.
this would be a rare truck with ALL of those options
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote