View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
mr48chev

Re: Turbo 350 Tailshaft question

Quote:
Originally Posted by westofb View Post
I am not sure this would work, but perhaps you could remove the 9" tailshaft, cut down the trans output shaft and then install the 6" tailshaft. I am no trans guru, so don't start hacking off that output shaft without someone who knows tells you it can be done. I saw this done once, but it was to install a transfer case and I can't remember what length tailshaft length it was that was cutdown for the switch.

I don't think that will work but I have in the past pulled turbo 350's apart and swapped in different tail shafts. We have done this to convert a two wheel drive trans to four wheel drive by changing the tail shafts. By the time you buy a gasket set and spend the time doing it the expense and time would be more than having the driveshaft shortened or swapping drive shafts though.

As for myself I'd try to swap driveshafts and stash the original one in the shed in case the long shaft trans ever gave out. That might be a headache eliminator somewhere down the road if you have to swap back to a short shaft trans.

Last edited by mr48chev; 11-15-2009 at 11:45 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote