View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #71
Super_Dave

Re: 1974 C20 Soon to become a project...

Well... I finally have some discretionary income to use on BABA YAGA! However, as usually happens, the wife has other ideas. So, after satisfying most of her wants, I can now start on the long awaited build. If I don't, she will re-purpose all the funds!

With the money pool depleted by more than I would have liked, I am forced to reconsider some of the initial plans, such as the 1979 C10 suspension swap. Keeping the C20 suspension will save me money that can be used elsewhere.

We purchased a low mileage Buick Regal as a fill in vehicle while the truck is off the road. It will eventually take the place of the wife's 215K mile Camry once it bites the dust.

I have the wheels picked out, along with tires. According to my calculations, my current setup (235/85/16) has a total tire/wheel height of 31.73". By going with a set of 18" on all four corners and 245/45/18 tires in front and 285/45/18 tires in the back, I will have a 1.42" rake without any suspension modifications.

The front tires are 9.6" wide and there rears are 11.2" wide. The truck as whole will be lower to the ground but the body and suspension relationship will still be unchanged.

The stock front ride height will drop 5.05" and the stock rear ride height will drop 3.63" just from the reduced sidewall and overall diameter. The plan calls for changing over the wheels ans tires and seeing how much of a change needs to be done to the static drop relative to the chassis and body relationship to get the overall look I want.

Clearly, the rear will need some additional help. By removing the rear overload springs and one leaf from the spring pack, I should get another 1.5". Flipping the axle on top of the stock spring pack will net about 4". So far neither option will cost any money and the frame hasn't been cut. Additional options are lowering shackles and spring hangers.

Once we nail down the mild suspension mods, it goes to the trans shop to have an Art Carr 2004r transmission installed to replace the TH350. Since the 2004r is a bolt in affair and no drive-line shortening is anticipated, the only concern is maintaining the proper pinion angle. The final drive ratio with my 3:73 gears and the 2004r, should give me a 2:50 highway cruising number. Then I won't need a loan to go for a drive farther than the local Post Office.

Next on the list is the body and paint. I have decided to forego the 1974 Belair concept due to finances, and will focus on one of the BABA YAGA! paint schemes.

Lastly is the upholstery and carpet. I have a decent quote for Leather and Tweed and look forward to having the majority done by mid-summer... if all goes as planned and I don't have any more funds re-purposed.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."

Last edited by Super_Dave; 04-11-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote