Thread: S10 Swap how to
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #757
joedoh

Re: S10 Swap how to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThadandDad48 View Post
Doing this swap on an S10 short wheel base which I moved the rear end back 8" on. Everything has been going as planned but just ran into a snag and hope someone else may have already solved this. The gas tank will not fit under the cab and front of the bed because the cross-member it mounts to is about 8" farther forward than it should be. Has anyone else run into this problem and is there an easy solution? Really don't want to spend $400 on a gas tank and then lose the ability to have a spare carried under the back of the bed. Thanks for any insight you guys may have.

the gas tank crossmember is held in with rivets, and the front strap is bolted in. you can drill the rivets in the crossmember and slide it back in the frame, and redrill new holes for the front strap bolts. you shouldnt need 8 inches, only a couple inches to clear the top of the tank where the stepdown is. keep in mind, the further you move it back the higher it will get. I did this on my 65 which was a std cab stretched the same as yours, because the gas tank hit the floor (it was the stock s10 floor) when I moved the cab back. in the original position the floor did not hit the tank.

this is also pretty common to do on bagged s10s because the gas tank hangs ever so slightly below the frame.

I would double check the height of your body mounts, if you are mounting the body super low for a slammed stance, you will have this problem even with a longbed truck.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote