Thread: 64 Fuse Block
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #13
ray_mcavoy

Re: 64 Fuse Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac65 View Post
I have everything working except instrument panel lights. I have no power on either side of the fuse. I turned the fuse panel around and don't see anything broken or disconnected. What am I missing?
Power for the instrument panel lights first goes through the "STOP TAIL DOME" fuse, then through an orange wire to the headlight switch. From there, it passes through a rheostat (variable resistor) that is used to adjust the brightness of the panel lights by rotating the headlight switch knob. After leaving the headlight switch, power goes through a green wire that takes it back to the "PANEL LTS" fuse in the fuse box. Finally, a gray wire runs from the other side of that fuse to the panel lights.

Since you don't have power on either side of the PANEL LTS fuse, the problem is most likely in the headlight switch rheostat. They have a tendency to get dirty / corroded and no longer make good electrical contact. Sometimes simply rotating the knob back & forth a few times will scrape off some light corrosion and get them working again. You could also try spraying some electrical contact cleaner on the rheostat portion of the switch (it's the part that looks like a coiled wire near the knob end of the switch). But if that fails, you'll probably have to replace the switch.

Note that if the problem were farther "upstream" in the circuit it would likely affect the brake lights, tail lights, and dome light too.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote