View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #70
akart

Re: Bilstien shock experiment $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
I know you are frustrated with your current situation but it looks like Stephen has asked a few times on the truck measurements. Have you done this yet? I'm sure it's no fun for him either but it does appear that he is trying to get your problem resolved. Good luck and hope you can get it worked out.....
Hello Jeff, I have been giving Stephen from ORD measurements but he does not seem to like them. Let me stare at the beginning. I had this 2" lift put in by men experienced in lift installations. Put the back in first and I was sick the back was so high they said it looked like a 6" lift or more. I had nothing to go by then so when I put in the front spring I measured very carefully from the bottom of the bumper to the shop floor. 20.5 before and 23.5 after. But Stephen did not like these measurements saying that they would be different at the wheel well. Fine. I have offered to put the truck in the same spot in that shop measure again bumper and wheel well then jack it up,put it on jack stands at the axle and measure it again and note any difference. That would establish the front height. I heard nothing back on that. But I had to install s 1/2" longer shackles on the front (as the front spring was riding on the frame),which ORD supplied for free and the height may have come up 1/2". I had put on new Rancho 9000 shocks RS999151 good for stock to a 2" lift. No problem here I lost 2" down travel but that was expected but the front shocks went on. I will get Bilstien shocks with more travel. Happy w/the front. Now to the back: when I went to connect the shocks I was shocked. When this shock was installed on the truck there was 4" of up/down travel,7.87" total travel as speced By Summit RS999118 The bottom of the shock,fully extended was 2" short of the axle mount. I drilled new holes in my frame 4" lower. The shock then would reach the axle mount but I only had 1.5" of down travel left. Add the 2.5" of down travel lost to the 4" lower holes in the frame I has a 6.5" lift initially. The springs I got were 56" and the originals were 52" so the rear spring mount had to be moved back 4" but ORD did send me the bolts and nuts. Fine,not a fun job. So, buy measurement of the shock the back came down 2.5". Measuring that lift now by the same method and the truck is heavily laden with a winters worth of snow I get a 4" lift loaded.
But Stephen @ORD doesn't like that measurement because he says he doesn't like those Rancho shocks. I can't see what difference that makes as I am just using them to get the lift numbers and pretty good ones too,I think. Conclusion: I want to quit dancing around the Maypole. I have told Stephen that I want the back 2" lower to bring my lift to 2" with the truck loaded not the 4" where it is at. But I am sure that Stephen will say that my measurements are no good. Lets see how this goes. Thank you very much for your post and concern. And I hope we can work things out too.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote