View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #53
Jsfucttruck

Re: 87 V20 D/D and Road trip Burb

Well the ball joints got done. I tossed some new pads in, greased everything up ,and reassembled. The following morning I headed out to grass valley Ca for a friend's wedding.
It was a long drive. A 4hr drive turned into almost 7. It was the Saturday before the eclipse, so everyone was heading north, or east to see past the overcast. The temps outside were in the 90s and got up to 102 at some point. My truck was running hot between the outside temps and all the hils. I have done all I can with the stock cooling system, the 6.2 struggles with the temps in these conditions. In the past 2 yrs, the complete system has been gone through. New water pump, fan clutch, oem t stat, New 4row brass rad, engine has been flushed, additional cooling vents are in the hood and I added a 16" electric fan behind the grill. I am not running anything special for coolant. Green stuff with the Wixcool and Redline Diesel Watter wetter. Even with this, I often run in the 205 to 235 water temps and 220-260 oil temps on hot days and pulling hills. I got a cooling fan to add for the external oil cooler I still need to mount up.

I often wonder if I have cracked heads but it runs well and doesn't consume or push coolant out the overflow. I add a cup or two, to keep It topped of once every 8-10 months. I just drive it carefully and monitor temps all the time. I added a radiator water temp right by the inlet from the motor. The highest temp I have seen there is 170(235 on the stock gauge).. The stock temp sensor is in the side of the head, near the exhaust port. I wonder if a higher flow serpentine belt setup could be beneficial. Maybe the stock gauge lies. New temp sensor is going in next week. I got to head to Mountain Home Id at the end of the month.

May I add that a good functioning air conditioning system is great. It is tough to keep these burbs cool inside with no shade and 100+ outside temps. I better get that original r12 system checked out too.
Jsfucttruck is offline   Reply With Quote