Thread: year round
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
mr48chev

Re: year round

I drove my truck year round all the time I had it on the road but it does show. Winters do take a toll on them after a while. I didn't have much choice with mine most of those winters as it was the only thing I owned that ran that I could drive to work.

Everyone has their argument for driving or not driving older vehicles all year round in all types of weather. I know guys here who won't even open the garage door if there are clouds in the sky in the middle of summer. If there is rain in the forecast they won't even think about taking their ride out. I know a couple more with older rigs that are maybe worth 20K who tow them everywhere in enclosed trailers behind 60K crew cab trucks. One says his too valuable to drive on the roads but he doesn't think a thing about driving the 60,000 Diesel dualie on any kind of road.

Disk brakes/drum brakes, no you don't need disk brakes but I hate to see guys argue against them unless the truck is going to be a 100% traditional build where being authentic in every way counts. You stand a better chance of not eating that late model BMW with the 4 wheel disk brakes if you have disk on at least one axle. That is the why of disk brakes on old trucks, to give ourselves a fighting chance in traffic. With 4 wheel drum you had better be always driving defensively and always know where you out or excape is along with staying in the outside lane to have that excape spot.

The only bad things about driving year round are rust, rock chips and worrying about the damned fools in 4x4 Toyota pickups who think snow on the ground means you are supposed to drive faster rather than slower.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote