View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #120
383Ram

Re: My Big Fat Renovation

Man, that is alot of work, but i'll say it again. It looks friggin' great!!!!!

Back when you did the laundry room you said you used caulk for the trim. I don't know if its wrong either, but thats what i did for the crown moulding in a hallway i did over. I hope you got the paintable kind though. I caulked all the seems and joints and then painted everything. Its quick and easy, but i almost think maybe next time i will just put filler and a quick sanding over the nail heads as i think it will look cleaner. The only other thing i noticed as i did the trim last May, is now being dry weather here in NY, the wood has obviosly srunk a bit and some of my seems/joints opened back up a bit. I really should recaulk those before it swells back up in the spring.

I also noticed you used a "test" piece for the corners to test the fit. I always have a few "test pieces around so i can set the saw up to get that perfect angle----cause as we all know, no walls are perfectly straight and true with perfect 90 degree corners.

I learned from a friend a long time ago, deception to the eye comes in big time when playing with walls and trim. The above mentioned hallway i did over is no where near straight because its new sheetrock on 120 year old walls. I had an outside corner that was so far out of wack that i had to do multiple days of layering in caulk because after the trim was up i had a pretty large gap between the the bottom of the crown and the wall (about an 1/8"). But to look at it now all filled and painted in, you dont really notice it---unless your me who put it up, but no one has ever picked up on it just looking at it.

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote