View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
rfmaster

Re: Why does my 305 tbi idle so high???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruAggression View Post
Yeah I drove it for a little bit does seem to have a miss im just gonna go ahead and repalce the plugs tomorrow, its about time for some anyway. Any other tricks for this TBI setup that I need to know. Good gap for plugs I'm gonna throw in tomorrow? Is the throttle body spacer really worth it in your opinion? I am new to this kinda of setup I'm used to carbs. Thanks

Josh
IMHO carbs belong where they should be. Stock TBI equipped engines are performance limited by a tiny cam, restricted stock exhaust system and lousy heads from the factory. Without going into a complete rebuild there are few things one can do to improve performance.

1) Improve fuel volume and pressure. Stock TBI can run with as little as 6 PSI - it will run, but very poorly. Install stiffer FPR spring and adjsutable FPR (from Jet). I like to run my TBI in the 15 to 16 PSI range. Higher pressure improves fuel atomization resulting in better combustion. In my conversions I run 40kV coil and gap plugs at 0.045".

2) I run 1" spacer on my Holley 300-66 intake - keep in mind that stock fuel lines will not clear Holley projection intake without spacer. Spacer improves throttle response.

3) I run headers and true 2-1/2" dual exhaust system on my rig. It sounds nice (as for performance improvement it is hard to tell since I did a lot of work over time)

4) Custom tune - I tune my ECM. So that any flat spots are taken care of.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote