View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #193
Steve-W

Re: 1969 Custom/10 clean up

Wow and suddenly we're three months down the road again..

This is how she looks now:

So we got the doors fitted, took us a lot of time, including taking of the fenders again, just to get normal access to the hinges.
Also replaced the vent window rubbers, which is quite a pain, but with patience it's doable.

Brakes..yes lets talk brakes; we got the new brakes drums in the back mounted, replaced the master brake cilinder one more time..bled the brakes until we went crazy and the result? the brakes work..kinda.
so with the engine turned of the brake pedal is hard, but turn the engine on and I punch the pedal to the medal...so I'm still not a 100% happy..but it stops in a acceptable way, meaning it won't lock up 4 wheels, but I'll be able to stop it before running into a concrete wall.
So at this point I'm not doing anything about the brakes anymore until I take it for MOT.

So now on to the next subject, the harmonic balancer.
I thought mine was shot, because of the clunking sound when the engine iddled and I had already bought a replacement one. I had taken pictures and went down to a second hand parts shop, who told me:"oh you have a small balancer, like on the 327 engine".. now I didn't give that remark a second thought until I watched instructual video's about changing the balancer.
I saw that the difference between the 350 and the 327 is that the 327 crankshaft doesn't have a threaded hole..like my engine, so do I have a 327 than?

Ok and the problem turned out to be the pulley that had come loose..so I stuck in 3 bolts with locknuts on the back, now I'm sure it won't come off anymore.
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod

Last edited by Steve-W; 08-17-2015 at 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling error
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote