View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #21
mr48chev

Re: Front brake hubs

On the 48 and 54 axles I have done I changed the drum/hub and backing plates.

On 47/50 you have to to get rid of the Huck brakes and have Bendix brakes. I did it on the 54 axle under my truck now as it didn't have brakes on it when I got it. One of my buddies gave me the whole 54 Chassis and I went to the wrecking yard and got the whole 54 car brake setup. That was in 1989 when they were easier to find.

You do have to drill two new holes in the backing plates for the bolts and replace the bottom bolts along with making some spacers. It's pretty self explanatory when you do it though.

When I did it with the 48 axle in 1973 I think I had to mix and match pieces for the inner bearings. It wasn't anywhere close to rocket science though. One of my friends in Texas had a lot of knowledge on what mixed and matched to make things work and a lot of these things I learned from him. He built a chopped and shortened 48 Chev truck that sat on a shortened 55 Car frame that he had given to him for cutting the body skin off a 4 door for a dirt track racer to use on his circle track car. He is also the guy who showed up at Memphis one year with a Ford powered 27 T that had the turtle deck made out of the cut down back end

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote