View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
MASTERBrian

Re: Rear Drum Brakes on 1960 Suburban

Updating what I have found so far as I can't be the only one in this situation, but it's definitely making me see the silver lining in eventually finding a newer rear diff to swap out for!! *I think it's coming together for me, so maybe this will help someone else later down the road. I'll know for certain later tonight once everything is installed.

I've called LMC and looked at their catalog, I've tried CarID.com, I've also called a local Chevy Dealer Parts Dept.

LMC shows that based on my wheel cylinder type, I should have the 11 5/32 drum with the 2-3/4" shoes, but I think I have an 11" drum (not 100% on that, but that's was closer to what the O'Reilly guy came up with on his tape....I just thought the calipers were showing over 11". In any case they do show the same part # for the front and rear shoes. I just realized that.

Chevy gave me a part # of 3849026, which crosses on some sites, but haven't found it at O'Reilly and at this stage I want to visually compare. They did say it was a 2" wide shoe, but they can't get any longer.

CarID.com says they can cross the number but they don't have either...hmm, not sure because visually online it looks the same. Again, that's why I want to visually compare.

Just got back from trip number 3 on these with O'Reilly and I now have in my possession shoes part #228, which list as being for the front only on the 1960 Burb. Remember LMC says both the same, so feeling better about this. Visually they are a very close match and they are the exact same curvature of my drum. The Shoes Part #33, which it calls for on their site as being for the rear &/or front of these absolutely isn't the same curvature and they are longer, so they have in last 30min been taken out of the equation for me.

As for the hardware kit, I am now soaking all of my parts from front and rear brakes in solvent because I can't get an exact hardware kit, so IF I have to re-use anything I want it clean and ready to go for this evening. I did buy a kit from a 70's c10, so hopefully those kit(s) will at least get me the springs. The bars have no issues so I'll just re-use and possibly re-use my adjuster as well.

What a nightmare this can become, for something that should be so easy. If she's on the road (and safely) in the next week it'll all be worth it!
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote