View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
flyingtim01

Re: '71 K20 Growling/Grinding noise

Didn't get a chance to do the visual last night, but it's on the list. And I am going to do the U joints just because, so I'll report back on both those fronts.

The truck is definitely a work horse. I'm pretty sure the original 307 has been replaced by a 350 from a '75 truck. I haven't managed to get at the casting number yet, but the stamped number on the passenger side of the block at the front of the head seems to bear that out. The cab is shot...but it's also a replacement, it's a '72 cab. Other than that, it doesn't look like it was beat on too much by the PO's.

The PTO and winch is somewhat of a mystery to me, though. I wonder if it was dealer installed, or if the power company installed it? The Braden LU2 winch came on a lot of Dodge trucks of this era, so I'm wondering if the power company had a wrecked Dodge with that setup on it, and swapped it over to this truck. It doesn't look homegrown at all, with the correct frame extensions and massive bumper. I don't think I'll ever know for sure, but I doubt the dealer would have installed it this way. All the Chevy PTO winches seemed to have a cable installed in the dash, this one has a lever that sticks up through a hole in the floor.
flyingtim01 is offline   Reply With Quote