Thread: Big Blue Burb
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
BGarza13x

Big Blue Burb

So. I just bought a 1969 Suburban. I had been stalking it out for months, scouring the internet for more info on the generation. I looked at countless YouTube videos and found this forum. I talked about it and dreamt about her nonstop. I looked around and found other 67-72 Burbs, but kept coming back to Big Blue. After finally convincing my wife I could turn it into a family car/daily driver, I was given her blessing and made the purchase. I had been looking at this particular 'burb since May. I finally was able to broker a deal over the weekend, then went to the Tax Office to transfer the title yesterday.

I go pick it up, drive it home, and am excited, but feel ready. I showed it to the family, laid out plans, set priorities. After the kids went to bed, I went outside to clean it out. As I am inside, hunched over, moving the 2nd bench that wasn't bolted in, planning on taking it into the garage, I am being careful to not drop it on my foot as I maneuver it towards the back tailgate. I keep moving it slowly, drop it down, then lift it back up and...... POP POP POP!!!!!

Sudden sharp pain hits my right arm. I'm so confused, the bench can't weigh more than my 3 year old son, I believe myself to be stronger than this, not thinking I was straining myself. I make my way to sit on down on the spare tire in the cargo area.

As time passes, I text my wife for help, but she's not near her phone. I try to assess what is happening and think, maybe it's a dislocated elbow? I can't move it or flex. Fingers still moving. I somehow climb out the back, then move things with my left arm, close the doors, lock them, then try to close the tailgate and the top hatch won't come down. I struggle with it, then one of the hinges pops loose, the hatch comes down, but crooked.

I finally make it inside the house, ask my wife to take me to Urgent Care. My sister in law is staying with us for the week, so she agrees to stay with the sleeping kids. I keep replaying it in my head, figuring I was at an awkward angle. When I get to urgent care, the doc starts poking at it, tells me it's not the elbow, it's a torn bicep. They take x-rays just to be certain, but the more I move it around slowly to position it, the more I can tell, it's my muscle.

Meanwhile, the realization that I am not going to be able to do much the next several weeks sinks in. I think of not being able to carry any of my 3 kids. It's gonna be a task to do daily functions. Then, I realize I won't be able to work on the car for a good while. I suddenly think of all the work that needs to be done and realize I am in way over my head.

The doc gave me a sling and some pain pills, but said I need to get a CT scan to tell how much damage. Appointment is set up, so now we wait and see.

After all that anticipation of getting the 'burb, I'm feeling pretty low right now. Had to tell my parents and in-laws, then had to tell my work that the first night I work on my new project, I injure myself. My pride is hurt more than anything. The only thing I can do is sit and wait for my arm to heal (possibly needing surgery) and wonder if I can still commit to something I've dreamed about for so long.

Has anyone else injured themselves while working on cars? I'm sure plenty. Did that stop you? slow you down?
Attached Images

BGarza13x is offline   Reply With Quote